Thursday, September 16, 2010

The (not so) Great Tomato Blight of 2010

Ugggh. And I thought the slugs were bad. Turns out I should have just let them have at 'er. Even the green ones I picked on the weekend seem to all have gotten it as they sat together on the counter.


So, no canned tomatoes this year. We've barely even had three fresh ones (out of 12 plants) and zero cherry tomatoes (out of four plants). No sun and all rain makes for late blight. I remember reading about it last year on Martha Stewart's blog and thinking, "Man, how awful would that be?" At least we still have the beets and carrots, but I won't count those potatoes yet because the same spores can infect potatoes, as well as peppers, eggplants, squashes, pumpkins, and melons.


Oh well. My heart just wasn't in it this year anyway. But maybe the rain and mosquitos has more to do with it than a lack of interest.

No comments: