Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Who're you?

Yaya is slowly turning into Yilyee. Yilyee Annerson. Sometimes Yilyee Hood. Dad is Chris Annerson - except for yesterday when Lily christened him Chris Hood. Mom is Jenfer Hood.

But most of the time, Mom is Sleeping Beauty or Tinkerbell or Peter Pan or Captain Hook because apparently I'm more fun that way. But when I'm someone else for too long, especially someone scary, you get genuinely scared. "Where's my mom?" you'll ask. Captain Hook tells you that he made her walk the plank. Gollum told you that a fire dragon picked her up and took her away. I don't particularly delight in scaring you, but you kinda bring it on most of the time. You've got this thing for the dark side of life. Sometimes you begin to cry like I'm gone forever. Or say panicked while looking into my eyes, "Mommy? Mommy?!"

Now that I type that it sounds really awful and mean, but I quickly return to being Mom and hold you close while I thank you for saving me. I don't know if it's all a game, but you keep wanting to play it. I'll play along as long as it involves so much hugging.

No comments: