Monday, July 21, 2008

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to solving it


In the last couple weeks, you have finally said the words I've been longing to hear - or at least see you exhibit a desire to express - since the day you were born. You said, "I'm tired, mama."

While you still have this twitchy madness that makes you always willing to aggressively fight off sleep, you have succumbed a handful of times. And for that I am pleased because from the time you were about two months old, you would use every ounce of energy you could muster to stay awake. Indefinitely. There might be something you were going to miss. Something might happen while you slumbered. Mommy could move out of your sight-line or out of earshot. Something horrible - or wonderful could happen! Even up until a month or two ago, you would wake up every 30 - 60 minutes to check if I was there. And scream until I came.

Even in the car (van), you would scream for hours if necessary to avoid sleeping. But yesterday on the way back from Grandma and Grandpa's, you easily let yourself be tired and fall asleep - even with the DVD player on. This is groundbreaking stuff.

And last night, actually the last few nights, you haven't woken at all when I bring you to bed when your dad and I retire. (I'm so trained that I actually can't sleep without you so we have a very co-dependent sleep relationship.) Then you slept until 6:44 a.m. which is wonderful compared to 5 a.m. wakings which were happening a couple weeks ago.

Ahhh, I feel more rested already.

No comments: