Thursday, January 10, 2008

Munchkinland

For about a month now you have been wholly consumed by the Wizard of Oz. Some lazy days we just run it over and over while we play. The rest of the time, the witch has supper with us or the flying monkey (me) carries you around and Nana or Dad have to save you.


We've had to create all the characters. Dad made the Tin Man out of our little bendable, wooden drawing figure, complete with funnel hat made of paper. The Scarecrow is Ernie with elastics around his neck and wrists holding the bits of twine poking out. The Wizard is a tennis ball with a face drawn on it - from before they found out he was the man behind the curtain. Dorothy is a barbie doll we got at a garage sale. Toto is a beanie baby dog. (Actually you have a Toto, too as you didn't want to share with Dorothy.) The lion is a big, stuffed lion you got a couple years ago. I made you a witch out of felt and Glinda the good witch is usually a drawing on the chalkboard. When she's not there, you incessantly search for her everywhere while calling her name.


And those songs. Oh, how you love the songs. While they are very good, they have infiltrated my head. At work I find myself humming "If I Only Had a Brain."
I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin' while
my thoughts were busy hatchin'
If I only had a brain.
Sometimes when it's on, you ask, "Go there?" It's not quite as cute as watching you physically try and get into a story book. But it's close.

No comments: