Thursday, January 22, 2009

Delightful

You had the best sleep last night, asleep just before nine and despite a two-minute tantrum at 5:30 a.m. to watch t.v., you slept until 7:45. And I had to wake you. I waited until Dad got out of the shower with the intention of taking you to Nana's in your pajamas. I even got your toque on but you yanked it off and said, "But I have to eat first!"Ah, routine is a funny thing.

So, you were very happy today. Most days we are faced with some wild mood swings, mostly violent and angry. Today was nice.

Today would have been my Dad's 60th birthday. It's been almost seven years since he died, which is how I remember how long your dad and I have been married. We celebrated our anniversary on Sunday by going out for supper, drinks and dessert while Nana babysat you and put you to bed. All a great treat!

***

Last weekend, you and I were basking in my room. I don't remember what we were talking about, but I asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up. You thought a sec and said, "I want to be a graphic designer - just like Mommy!" I didn't even know you knew I was a graphic designer.

But you know - and want to know - so much. One night in bed you just asked, "Can we talk in French?" We proceeded to spend the next twenty minutes or so learning the French word for objects...and a few phrases.

And finally, you are getting very good at reading bedtime stories. You run your finger under the words and "read" because you know the lines. If you're not sure which word is which, you ask and you remember for next time. And the cutest is when you get to the end of a book and read those two little words - the end!

No comments: